Srinagar: ‘Ceasefire Agreement’ between India and Pakistan along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir has completed one year today.
Pertinently, In a conversation between the Director Generals of Military Operations over the established hotline on February 22, both sides agreed on “strict observance of all agreements, understandings, and ceasefire along the LoC and all other sectors” with effect from the midnight of February 24/25, 2021 a joint statement had said.
The official data reveals that there were some skirmishes reported on the border, but overall guns continue to remain silent much to the satisfaction and relief of the border residents.
Ghulam Muhammad Katana, a respectable citizen from Gurez told news agency Kashmir News Trust that every before the ceasefire agreement Gurez villages used to witness shelling and firing every alternate day. “We suffered property and human loss and it was like living in Hell before the ceasefire agreement,” he said adding that not a single incident of ceasefire violation was recorded in Gurez since February last year.
“We are happy and living in peace. The border residents know the importance of peace and ceasefire agreement,” he said.
“There has been no increase in Cease-Fire Violations (CFVs). This year, there has been none. At least in the Kashmir Valley, there have been no incidents of CFV,” Lt. Gen. D.P. Pandey, General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps said.
“Frankly speaking, there has been no instigation from across the border,” he stated.
Ceasefire violation incidents were reported in thousands till the commitment came into effect 25 February last year.
The data reveals that there were 4,645 CFVs in 2020, 3,168 in 2019, and 1,629 CFVs in 2018. (KNT)