KNT Web Desk
The number of people who died after allegedly consuming spurious country-made liquor in Gujarat’s Botad climbed to 19 on Tuesday, as nine more people succumbed.
After preliminary investigation and questioning of suspects, sources in the Gujarat Police said the deceased were sold chemicals instead of alcohol by the bootleggers. They fell ill after consuming the chemicals.
According to the SIT probe, a company called Emos is believed to have supplied the methyl which was present in the poisonous liquor consumed by the victims.
A total of 600 litres of methyl was reportedly supplied by Emos Company, of which the police have seized about 450 litres, sources said.
The sources said police are currently in the process of lodging an FIR after receiving the Forensic Science Laboratory’s report. Murder charges will be brought against the accused, they added.
Over 40 people are in serious condition and undergoing treatment at different hospitals, mostly at Sir Takhtsinhji hospital in Bhavnagar. All of them belong to Rojid village in Barvala taluka of Botad district and a few other surrounding villages.